Sunday, August 21, 2016

Stuff I Ate in Tennessee

Last week I crossed off one of my bucket list destinations: Nashville. I traveled with my friend and assistant Jess to do makeup for three models. My first vegan stop was actually when I decided that if I was THAT close to Sun Studio (where Johnny Cash, Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis recorded) and didn't go, I would regret it forever. So we drove 4 hours in the rain to Memphis.



I had heard that Memphis wasn't very nice, outside of Graceland, but that was seriously wrong. The streets are lined with a mix of 100 year-old and brand-new buildings, everyone is cool, and their vegan food was amazing. We went to Imagine Vegan Cafe, a vegan restaurant built into a house (this reminded me of Minneapolis' only 100% vegan restaurant, Ecopolitan). 


How freeing it was to have an entire menu where I could order ANYTHING. Here's their very cute menu:



I decided since I was in the south, to order the vegan Southern Fried Chicken sandwich. It was Chik-Fil-A style with pickles and vegan mayo on a soft bun. I was dreaming about it that night, that's how amazing it was. Like somebody's vegan grandmother made it. I also ordered a side of vegan macaroni and cheese.



Jess got a vegan eggplant Parmesan sandwich with a side of garlic kale which she called "messy and tastes unbelievable." 



We also shared their spinach artichoke dip and chips which was the only thing we could not finish (we were too full). It was incredible and I ate the rest for breakfast right before our shoot. 

Here's me geeking out: 


We drove back to Nashville exhausted and slept until we woke up early to attend to our call time. One of the models works at a vegan restaurant called Sunflower and when I told her I wanted to try a place she said she wished she had known- she would have brought us some stuff! I had already decided to try The Wild Cow as soon as we were done shooting but hopefully I can revisit Nashville and go to more places (apparently there's also a raw place called Avo). 

The Wild Cow has an all-vegan menu except you can special order some dairy cheese on certain items which I thought was really weird. There was no information on why they chose to do that, or where the cheese comes from (did they decide to offer cheese because it's from an extremely humane farmer up the road or something? No further information was given). One thing I did notice with both restaurants I visited though, was that they both served beer and wine. When I go to a vegan place out of state I always try to observe how it is a success and I think Tennessee vegans understand that they can keep their restaurants busy if they offer alcohol and comfort food, which makes sense. I didn't order any, though.  



I ordered the portabella mushroom burger with vegan chèvre and roasted red peppers. The Wild Cow offered a large selection of sides just like Imagine did, including garlic kale (is this a southern thing?) but I opted for the pineapple cole slaw which was very good. 


Jess (who is not vegetarian) adored her grilled tofu rice and lentil bowl. We were so full we couldn't fathom ordering their sizable selection of homemade desserts (the most intriguing being their vegan lavender-blueberry cheesecake).

 
I was shocked how inexpensive the restaurants were. In fact, after returning to Minneapolis I went to a restaurant with a special vegetarian menu (so, not a vegetarian restaurant) and a vegan hot dog and tater tots was $15. Jess and I ate at both restaurants in Tennessee for $15-20 total and the food was much better. Being outside of Minneapolis I am constantly reminded how much we can improve here, especially since we are a big city with a lot of vegans and we pride ourselves on being a progressive and diverse "food city." 

I am itching to go back again already, and daydreaming of when my hometown will have the same options and variety as other places in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment