Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pumpkin Bread!

It has been a while. I have actually accidentally veered into vegan, gluten-free foods. It's really easy in fall time: baking vegan and gluten-free is so much easier when you can use pumpkin and applesauce to keep breads, cakes and other baked goods moist. 

I'm a single mom now. Thinking that two years ago I cooked like this almost every day, it's a wonder I have quite lost a bit of weight! I miss walking into my kitchen in the morning and smelling the yummy things I baked or cooked the night before. I'm starting to get back into the groove and it feels great! 

Last night I took a traditional pumpkin bread recipe, substituted some ingredients so it would be GF and vegan, and it turned out yummy! I want to make it again and add raisins or frost it with a sweetened vegan cream cheese. I wasn't fully aware that the recipe made three whole loaves, so after the kids and I were done baking we brought some up to the other three tenants in our 4-plex. 

Side-note: even though there was clearly no smoke or fire, my fire alarm did not like this pumpkin bread. It completely flipped out. I couldn't disable it because it was wired to the wall. I pulled it out. I think it was possessed because it kept beeping even afterward. As you know, there is never a "hey, you may want to check the oven" setting on a fire alarm. It's always a horribly loud "HOLY SHIT YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIRE GET OUT NOW BEFORE YOU DIE" setting. So I threw it in my car. Don't worry... I have another one.



Vegan gluten-free Pumpkin Bread

1 can (15 oz) pumpkin purée
1 cup applesauce 
1 stick Earth Balance buttery spread 
2/3 cup water 
3 cups white sugar 
3 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour 
6 teaspoons baking powder 
1 1/2 teaspoons salt 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1 teaspoon nutmeg 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 
1/2 teaspoon ginger 

Grease 3 loaf pans. Heat oven to 350. Mix wet ingredients and sugar in a mixer. Blend together the dry ingredients separately and slowly add until well-blended.  Divide mix into the three pans and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out clean. 

You gotta have cute bag clips... 


No comments:

Post a Comment