Sunday, July 8, 2012

Notable Differences

While the transition isn't fully there and won't be for a while, I had an experience yesterday that really woke me up. A few experiences actually, but this one was really a sign that I am on the right path trying to make these changes in my diet.

Lars is a photographer, and I'm a make-up artist slash production assistant. We booked a huge shoot at a beautiful Victorian mansion about an hour out of the city. I woke up early yesterday morning to go to my esthetician job and work a 7:30a-1:30p shift, then once I got home we immediately left to drop off the baby with a sitter, which was further away than we thought. Neither of us had eaten (I had run to a coffee shop and gotten a huge coffee with a shot of white chocolate so I could get through the day) and we were running over an hour behind schedule (the wardrobe stylist, four models and hairstylist were already there and waiting for us), so we decided to stop at a fast-food place. I got a hamburger and fries and a huge soda to split with Lars, and we got a strawberry ice cream parfait. Before we even got to the shoot site, I felt sick. Then when we arrived there was a huge craft service spread- water, soda, carrots and dip, potato chips, donuts, fresh cherries, Zebra cakes... We were in such a hurry that I ate a bunch of stuff quickly and without much thought. I just didn't know when I was going to eat again, so I took advantage of the 5 minutes I had to get as much in my mouth as I could. The photo shoot lasted until midnight. On our way home we stopped at the only place that was open- Taco Bell.

This morning, in short, was a nightmare. It was clear I hadn't been taking care of my body the night before. I don't drink (not even socially) but I have before and I know what a hangover feels like. This felt EXACTLY like a hangover. I knew I was dehydrated, but I'm also hypoglycemic. I was grocery shopping with my kids this morning when I had a major sugar crash. When this happens, the first sign is that I get nauseated, then I usually get a pounding headache. I have to pee constantly. Sometimes my vision gets blurry or my balance will get funky for a couple seconds. It's a scary feeling, and sometimes it takes a while for it to go away. You'd think that would keep me on top of managing it properly, but my life is really busy and sometimes I "just don't have time" to eat something. I was alerted to the fact that I NEED to MAKE TIME. Managing hypoglycemia is relatively easy- it requires balancing carbohydrates (to keep your blood sugar up) and protein (to keep you from burning through all the sugar too quickly). But I always find out too late that I didn't do it and get angry at myself.

So today's foods were a lot different- I had some carrot and orange juice with a veggie egg sandwich for breakfast, a spinach-fruit-walnut salad with creamy balsamic for lunch and Kalbi tofu and veggies over rice for dinner with fruit for dessert (I also snacked throughout the day on an orange, had a bubble tea and took three bites of Lars' ice cream he was eating). I cannot tell you the difference I felt from today versus yesterday. Even though I was nursing this bizarre donut hangover, my body felt like it was ridding itself of the gross stuff I had put in the day before. While I know there are a lot of heavily-processed vegan foods I would like to strike a balance between stuff I know is good for me and some yummy comfort foods.

I get made fun of a lot because I cook constantly and I consider myself a foodie, but I also love a couple of really cheap guilty pleasures: macaroni and cheese, Beefaroni, and bagels with a schmear of cream cheese. I know that Amy's makes a great Macaroni and Soy Cheeze and Better Than Cream Cheese really is... well, you know. The Beefaroni is going to be a challenge. I looked at TVP "beef" crumbles and the one I found has egg and dairy, and seitan, mock duck and other beef alternatives typically have a pretty strong taste.

I'm excited to try a lot of great new versions of things I already love. I just had a California Pizza Kitchen pizza that had fire-roasted vegetables, and want to make a vegan version. Also a friend texted me and told me about buffalo cauliflower with vegan bleu cheese. So excited for that! I make a Moroccan beef stew that I will be veganizing ( I have literally been fantasizing about the veg version of this), and finally, my most ambitious experiment- duplicating my aunt Cheryl's corn bake with all vegan-ingredients. It could go really well- or really bad. I can't wait to find out.




2 comments:

  1. You should come on Midwest Vegan Radio!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're going to veg fest, let's try to hook up there and chat about it!

    ReplyDelete