Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Yummy Day!

This is my first day on the Blogger app for iPhone! I'm not sure how well my photos will upload but if it works this will be convenient for me! I'm tethered to my phone! I made three fun dishes today but I'm posting them separately because I'm not sure the Blogger app will embed the images in the right places (I think it will just post the pics at the end of the blog- we will find out!)

It was another hot day, but I had a small bag of pre-cut butternut squash (cutting squash is quite a pain), two mangoes that looked like they were on their way out, and a bunch of hungry tummies.

I've been craving a recipe brought to me by our beloved old friend Laurel: curried squash with lentils and toasted walnuts. This recipe is gluten-free and vegan. I love recipes that have no fake meats- I love mock duck and chik patties but they're expensive and aren't the best for you. The walnuts in this recipe give it a hearty savory meatiness that I love and it's just so pretty to look at. Despite being full of autum-friendly ingredients I couldn't go another day without this.

Butternut Squash with Lentils and Toasted Walnuts:

1 butternut squash
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 shallot, finely diced
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup walnuts (the original calls for only 1/2 cup but I LOVE walnuts)
1/3 cup lentils
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Lime juice to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Cut the squash into 1/2 inch pieces (or cheat and buy a precut bag like I did). Chop the shallot and mix the two together in a bowl with olive oil, curry powder and some salt and pepper. Lay it in a single sheet on a baking pan and throw it in for about 15 minutes.

While that's cooking, boil the lentils in water until they're tender (about 20 minutes). Drain the water and set aside to combine later.

Open the oven and pour the walnuts over the mixture. Cook for another 10 minutes or so.

Combine the lentils and squash mixture, then toss with cilantro, lime juice and salt and pepper. Easy!

*You can also lightly sautée the shallot with some garlic before mixing it with the squash- Laurel recommended this to me and thinks it adds a little something. Also, I think next time I might sprinkle some cinnamon into this dish to add some spice.


No comments:

Post a Comment