Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Impromptu Scone.

I need to concede that I dislike fake meat. Most fake meat, anyway. I do like tofurky and the soy Bacos, but most of the time it doesn't sit right with me. I made an otherwise-awesome enchilada recipe today (with avocado instead of cheese) but the fake chicken ruined the experience for me.

I've been a really good girl lately. I'm exercising (not well, but still) and trying to eat well. I needed a treat after this sadness. I didn't have much in the fridge- we just got back into town and all the bills were due the moment the plane landed- but we had some coconut milk I knew was destined for something good.

I was unsure about the batter when I first saw it because it was so moist, but it was amazing, tender and delicious- not too sweet and melt-in-your-mouth. My only criticism was that I couldn't taste the lime much. I think next time I will use lime zest instead of lime juice, or a personal household favorite- rose water. I modified this recipe to make it my own (out of necessity) but the original is on Art of Dessert (theirs is an adaptation too) and calls for adding fruit and nuts!

I cannot wait to eat one of these for breakfast, warmed up and buttered with Earth Balance.


Vegan Coconut Milk Lime Scones


2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. lime, orange or lemon zest (or rose water- play with the options! Maple might be great too)
1 cup canned coconut milk (cold)
1 small container Amande vegan almond milk yogurt (I used coconut flavor)

...and...

A couple tablespoons of sugar for sprinkling

Heat oven to 425. Combine all dry ingredients, then add coconut milk, vegan yogurt and your flavor add-in.

Place heaping ice cream scoops of the batter onto a baking sheet about a half-inch apart. Generously sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

1 comment: